Effective Tuesday, July 13th, kitchen shifts will change to 8:00am – 11:30am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. This is the beginning of our transition plan to gradually increase the number of shifts available and volunteer capacity.
- Kitchen Volunteer: We are now accepting new volunteers and volunteer groups of up to 6 people (maximum) in the kitchen. Please find our updated policies below:
- New volunteers will only be permitted to volunteer if they can show proof of vaccination.
- Those who have previously volunteered with Moveable Feast may still sign up for a kitchen shift.
- Kitchen Volunteers will continue to wear masks while in the kitchen, though vaccinated volunteers may remove their masks in other parts of the building.
- All volunteers will enter our building through the main Moveable Feast entrance (beginning July 13th).
- Shifts are available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9am-1pm, 4 volunteers at a time (until July 13th). Log in to your account at mfeast.volunteerhub.com to sign up!
- Delivery Driver: Choose a delivery day and delivery area, and pick up your meals from Moveable Feast between 9-11am and make contactless deliveries to clients. Contact Angie Kelley directly to get started!
Virtual Volunteer Opportunity
›› Send a Kindness Card to our clients
Even if you are unable to join as a volunteer, we still need your support! Please click here to make a gift to Moveable Feast. We appreciate our fantastic community of supporters and look forward to having you join us again in the future.
Moveable Feast welcomes groups volunteering in our kitchen or garden. Make Moveable Feast part of your next corporate or organizational retreat or all-staff meeting! Volunteering as a group fosters cooperation and bonding, and, helps Moveable Feast feed more people with a range of severe illnesses.
We can host both youth (age 14 or older for the kitchen) and adult volunteers in our kitchen for groups of up to 15 at a time; and groups up to 5 in the garden (all ages).
Kitchen Assistants directly impact our clients by packaging, labeling, and sorting our medically-tailored meals, chopping and seasoning ingredients, and/or making sandwiches and produce bags. The fun in the kitchen also includes light cleaning!
Moveable Feast is proud to support the Duncan Street Miracle Garden, operated by members of the East Baltimore community. If your group would like to support the efforts of this local garden, please reach out to Community Engagement Manager, Angie Kelley, to coordinate an activity.
Gardeners help our Dietitians weed, water, harvest, and clean the garden. Moveable Feast provides all necessary tools and gloves. Please bring water, sunscreen, and appropriate clothing.
Requirements for Kitchen Volunteering:
The Moveable Feast Kitchen is a commercial production kitchen which has specific requirements and guidelines to ensure everyone’s safety. These following elements are important for our Clients’ welfare and our volunteer’s safety.
Food Safety: Staff and volunteers must follow strict sanitary guidelines which include: hand washing, wearing hair nets, aprons and gloves, and proper food handling practices. Moveable Feast provides all necessary kitchen gear.
Personal Safety: Requires the physical ability to work in cold temperatures (such as freezers), standing for up to 3 hours, working with kitchen equipment, lifting up to 25 lbs. and full dexterity to handle food, knives and carts.
Please note that shift tasks vary by production needs. If you have physical restrictions, please contact Volunteer Services to see if accommodations can be made.
Would you like to sign your group up to volunteer? See available shifts here.
Groups that have Volunteered
- The Warner Companies
- Morgan Stanley
- Exelon Companies
- Johns Hopkins Staff & Students
- Morgan Properties
- PayPal Pride
- Professional Convention Management Association
- Bank of America
- Borden Transportation
- Michele’s Granola
- Barton Malow
- Brewer’s Art
- Morgan State Nursing Program
- MAC Cosmetics
- T. Rowe Price
What our group volunteers have to say:
This was my first time volunteering with Moveable Feast and it was through my job. Because I loved it so much I would like to come back and volunteer on my own for such a great cause! Staff was so friendly and welcoming it truly was a great experience!
Orientation and post shift report really brought home impact of the effort. Thank you for the efficient, friendly environment; and for raising our levels of empathy for the clients served! We’ll be back.
â€œIt was awesome! The tasks we had were great for bonding as a group and it was fun to talk to each other while we completed things as a team. The staff did a great job of telling the story of Moveable Feast and demonstrating the impact of our one day’s work. I will definitely return to volunteer again!